Here in Charlotte we’re now about a month into summer. Perhaps it’s time to think about how you are using the extra time and freedom from strict school, work, and sports schedules. During the school year parents are usually very focused on their kid’s classroom achievement and activities. Summer brings the opportunity for extra time together and conversations about things that often don’t get enough attention during the school year. Take advantage of this extra time together and use it to really connect with your kids. The time in the car driving to your vacation spot, or sitting on the beach, or taking a hike can be valuable time to reconnect. Put down the cell phones and the computers. Turn off the book that you downloaded and talk to each other! What can you talk about? Here are a few conversation starters:
- What were the best and worst experiences of the past school year?
- What is your favorite place visited so far and where do you dream of going?
- What’s your favorite book or movie?
- What’s your favorite music right now? Take turns playing your favorite song to each other. No criticism allowed!
- Who do you consider your best friend right now? Why? How do you choose a best friend? What qualities make a good friend?
- What or who are you most concerned about right now?
Be sure to really listen. Withhold judgement. The point is to really connect with each other… To hear and be heard. Who knows what you might learn?
You must be logged in to post a comment.